Tuesday 23 August 2011

Scottish Scenes

In April this year I sat outside a cafe in Aviemore, impressed at the warmth of the day. I remarked to my travel companion that when I had last visited, the previous August, it had been torrentially rainy and more than a little chilly.

It came as no surprise, then, that I visited again this August, it was a similar tale. Only this time, there was a delayed train and exploding coffee cup into the bargain. I think I shall book my next visit to that nonetheless spectacular part of the country in December- then I be guaranteed sunshine and warmth, surely.

This summer's northern adventure was largely to see family. Here are the photographic highlights of my travels.

Had to snap a picture of this orginal L-plate VW Beetle, parked just off the Royal Mile in Edinburgh.

It was in remarkably good condition considering its age and the weather.

At Family Outpost No. 1, the cats got some camera time. More of these in a future blog.

Crossing the Forth Bridge we spotted this huge passenger liner.

The fast-flowing River Nethy, taken from the Nethy Bridge itself

At the ever-popular Strathspey Railway, this was the highlight of the vintage adverts.

Meanwhile, back at Family Outpost No. 2, an abandoned cottage caught my imagination. This used to be lived in during summer months. It had no electricity. Based on this summer's weather it's a good thing they did have fireplaces!

Frozen in time, a peek through the window.

And that was Scotland for another holiday. Then it was back to London, where the highlight was a tour of Arsenal's Emirates Stadium- blog to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment