Saturday 3 September 2011

Arsenal Stadium Tour

After returning from Scotland it was off to North London for a tour of my beloved (and arguably beleaguered) football club. After cutting it a little bit fine and then striking it unlucky on the Tube, I did in fact miss the start of the tour, and was lucky to be allowed in after a passing staff member felt generous enough to let in a family who were making even more of an "oh no" face than I was. We caught up with the rest of the tour group in the Diamond Club seats. They say there are no bad seats in this stadium and it's true. But some are better- and more upholstered and costly- than others.


We were told some astonishing stories about just how long the waiting list is for Diamond Club, and how incredibly expensive it is. Impressive, but of course it is all the more annoying on match days when you see empty seats here, and at Club Level too.

Next it was downstairs again to see where the players come in, starting with the brand new crest to celebrate the 125th year of the club's existence, and the time capsule placed by Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieria a few years ago.


I used to work with Michael Thomas' sister. To my shame I hadn't really heard much about him and his legendary goal until she said her brother had once been a striker for Arsenal. At first I thought she must have meant as a reserve or youth player once, but when she told me the name I was amazed to find it was the man himself, stuff of legend and even featured in the Fever Pitch film (which I saw screened on the Emirates pitch earlier the year- the moment of the last-minute winner got a cheer, as it was the best we'd felt that month after Carling Cup and Champions League exits).

Next we headed to the Home dressing room. The away dressing room was out of bounds on account of the fact it was having its already (deliberately- mind games) smooth floor polished. Apparently it also has harsher lighting, no cushions and is shaped in the least Feng-Shui manner possible.
Unlike the Home dressing room:
 The physio room is just off the dressing room. I get the impression this is used a lot, being Arsenal.
 I would LOVE one of these in my house. Jacuzzi with full body massage seats. Not allowed before games, apparently, as it relaxes the players too much. Odd, as our defenders often seem pretty relaxed all of the time anyway.
 Then we went pitchside. Having already walked on the pitch (and had a beer on the halfway line) earlier in the year, this was a slight anti-climax, thus making me feel utterly spoiled. I did get a closer look at the staff and players' seating, though. Apparently Arsene Wenger's seat is No.13. Wonder what it was at Old Trafford. 82, perhaps.

 Next stop: press room. There is a translator's booth behind where I took the picture from.
 And finally (not counting the walk through the car park to the shop), we saw the fairly awesome facilities that are made available to the press so they can sit and criticise our style of play and transfer policies in comfort. They have been voted best press football ground facilities for the press in Europe.
When the tour was over, it was back to Arsenal tube station where I had the rare feeling of leaving the Emirates without having to stand in a huge, pressing crowd for half an hour. I return for the Swansea game on the 10th September, where I hope to see some of the new panic buys players brought in as part of our development and title challenge.
Next blog will be up soon, with an account of a first ever visit to Barcelona...



No comments:

Post a Comment